Auditioning and Screen-Testing Workshop with Arka Das
Date: Saturday 21 September
Time: 10.00am – 4.00pm
Participants: Maximum 10
Location: Information and Cultural Exchange (ICE), 8 Victoria Road Parramatta NSW 2150. View MAP.
- Provide an overview and analysis of the current audition and casting processes in Australia.
- Provide the tools to breakdown and prepare scripts for auditions consistent with realistic time frames.
- Provide plenty of tips and tricks for casting rooms as well as self-tapes.
- Identify unique strengths to stand out in auditions and self-tapes.
- Learn and develop screen acting jargon and terminology.
This 1-day workshop will give actors (aged 18+) who have a professional interest in acting in Australia, the opportunity to understand the casting process and furthermore develop their skills to be able to audition confidently for a casting director whether in person or on self-tape. This masterclass will also help to identify and quell any fears or answer any questions about the casting process in Australia and give you the tools you need to stand out as an emerging actor.
ARKA DAS is an actor and filmmaker from Sydney, Australia, whose work includes award winning Australian and international film, TV & stage credits. Arka has starred in Academy Award nominated film Lion and will be seen in Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of Mulan. His TV credits include Top of the Lake: China Girl, directed by Academy Award winner Jane Campion, a lead role on ABC’s critically acclaimed medical drama Pulse, alongside Janet King, The Code and also Nine Network/Sony’s crime drama Bite Club.
As a writer & director, Arka holds short films, web-series and short documentaries under his belt. He wrote and directed Khana Khazana, a short film exploring the dark side of migrant labour, which had its Australian premiere at Flickerfest International Short Film Festival and its US premiere at LA Shorts Film Festival and has also screened at St Kilda Film Fest and the International Film Festival of South Asia Toronto. Arka is also one of the writers on an upcoming anthology feature film produced by Co-Curious and in development with the assistance of Screen Australia and Create NSW.
By the end of this course, you will have:
- Gained an honest and current overview of the audition process in Australia.
- Learned specific and easily-applicable audition techniques including self-taping.
- Become more comfortable and confident with watching your own tapes;, self-evaluation and constructive feedback.
- Gained practical feedback on test audition scene during the workshop and plenty of tips and tricks to take away.
- Gathered insight on how to make your mark as a professional emerging actor and audition for casting directors, agents and directors in the industry.
- Please read our Centre Policies.
- Please wear comfortable loose clothing and appropriate footwear.